How to get an MVV visa?

How to get an MVV visa?       

My work as an online Dutch teacher brings me into contact with a lot people who are thinking about moving to the Netherlands. They want to start a new life here.

This big step brings a lot of changes and also a lot of things to organize – documents and forms with words like MVV, TEV and IND. In this blog I will shine a light on these. And I will explain how to get an MVV.

First, let’s start with the IND.

What is the IND?

The Immigration and Naturalization Service, Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst (IND), is the Dutch government agency that handles the admission of foreigners into the Netherlands. It is the organization that handles everything you have to do to get the MVV.

So what is this MVV?

What is MVV?

An MVV (Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf, Authorization for Provisional Stay) is a provisional residence permit that allows you to enter the Netherlands as a potential resident rather than a tourist.

So this means that if you are coming to work, study or any other reason you need one. If you want to join your partner who lives in the Netherlands, you also have to get an MVV. 

Once you have collected your MVV, you can enter and leave the Netherlands (and other Schengen countries) for a maximum of 90 days.

What is TEV?

The procedure of getting your MVV is called the Entry and Residence Procedure (TEV procedure).

Do I need an MVV?

Be sure to take a look at the website of the IND (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, Immigration and Naturalisation Service). Here you can find out whether you have to have an MVV, because you may not need one.

For example, people from countries in the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) are not required to do this.

So you need to have one? Where to start?

Apply for an MVV

You can find application forms for admission and residence on the IND website. There you will see that there are two different forms to submit the TEV application:

  • The ‘Form for MVV grant’ can be submitted abroad by you to a Dutch embassy or consulate;
  • The request can be submitted in the Netherlands on your behalf by a referee or a sponsor to the IND.


A sponsor is a person, employer or organization that has an interest in your arrival as a foreign national in the Netherlands. A sponsor has rights, but also obligations with regard to the foreign national. For example, the sponsor can start the application for the foreign national from the Netherlands.

Basisexamen Inburgering Buitenland

In order to get an MVV you must have succeeded in passing the Basisexamen Inburgering Buitenland. So you take the exam in your home country before you move to the Netherlands and apply for the MVV. Here you can read more about this exam.

You will receive the result of the exam within 8 weeks. You will get an email with the result. So you’ve passed your exam, how long does it take to get the MVV?

How long before you know you have the MVV?

After application to the IND it will take about two weeks to get a decision.

Application rejected

If your application is rejected you can register an appeal. The letter containing the decision to reject your application will state the next steps to file an appeal.

Application accepted

All forms and information are correct? And your application is accepted? Congratulations! The MVV sticker will be put into your passport. Once you have collected the MVV, you will have three months from the commencement date shown on the sticker to travel to the Netherlands.

More information

For general and specific queries, you can contact the IND by phone or twitter. If you want to know more about Basisexamen Inburgering Buitenland and how to prepare for it, check out the blog I made.


Bart de Pau
online Dutch teacher & founder of the Dutch Summer School & Dutch Winter School